Welcome to the Gila County Historical Society!
Welcome to the Gila County Historical Society website (affiliated & certified by the Arizona Historical Society). Gila County is located in the central part of Arizona, and has a remarkable, true Western history. The county seat is Globe, but there are many towns and other places truly worth becoming acquainted with. Please explore our site and become acquainted with our resources. We believe you will be richly rewarded. We also maintain a wonderful museum, location and hours of operation as shown below:
Location: 1330 N. Broad St., Globe, AZ 85501
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 10am - 4pm
Saturday 11am - 3pm
Request: We gratefully accept items of historical interest from individuals and/or families who wish to contribute to our collection of photos, artifacts, and archival records. We are unable to pay for items, but we will acknowledge all items placed on permanent loan. Items to be donated must be accepted by our Board of Directors.
You are currently viewing the default home page of our website. Here's a quick description of how to navigate the site:
REALIZE THAT ALL PAGES OF THIS WEBSITE CAN BE ACCESSED FROM THE LINKS LISTED JUST TO THE RIGHT OF THIS COLUMN!
- First, examine the Menu at the top of the home page. There are several main headings, which are titled Home, Blog, Resources, Minishop, About/Contact (us), and Memberships.
- Our Blog page gives you an idea of our activities, with dates, etc.
- The Resources page is particularly rich to explore. There you can find a brief sketch of the History of the Society (and an external link to an extensive site about the Early History of the area, and other interesting links), a few photos from by an artist from our area are located in the Gallery, a brief Video Tour of our museum, extensive lists of our Catalog, a Calendar of our activities, a Google map of our location, and a new page briefly describes our Sponsored Entities: the Globe-Miami Centennial Band, the Old Dominion Historic Mine Park, and the Pleasant Valley Cemetery Historical Society in Young, AZ. Links describing in more detail each of these sponsored entities are also located in the column to the right of this column.
- The Minishop will allow you to order some of our books, pamphlets, etc.
- The About/Contact page will give you an idea "About Us" and you may also "Contact Us" there.
- The Membership page will give you the opportunity to join our society.
- Here is a link to our society wiki. Public comments on our wiki at this time are closed to the public. However, on the wiki is also a Document Repository. The Society occasionally places documents in the Repository that can be downloaded by the public.
- Don't forget our Facebook 'page', which can be accessed by clicking the Facebook badge at the top right of this page.
More Options (External Sites)
- Be aware that there are many recreational opportunities in the area. You may wish to check out the following links:
- Globe-Miami Chamber of Commerce site: Globe-Miami Chamber Site
- Payson's Chamber of Commerce: Payson Chamber Site
- City of Globe: http://www.globeaz.gov
- Globe City Data: http://www.city-data.com/city/Globe-Arizona.html
- Historic Gila County (good info about area): http://www.historicgilacounty.com/
Other Online Resources (Non-Sponsored External Sites)
Check out the following external links for even more information.
- Wikipedia--Gila County
- Globe-Miami Times (local internet site and paper, lots of info)--Link
- Bullion Plaza Cultural Center & Museum (museum in neighboring Miami that partners with the Gila County Historical Museum)--Link
- Arizona Silver Belt (local newspaper)--Link
- Copper Country News (local newspaper)--Link
- Cobre Valley Center for the Arts (originally Gila County Courthouse, now Arts Center)--Link
- Besh-ba-Gowah Museum (reconstructed site of ancient Salado peoples)--Link
- Boyce Thompson Arboretum (in nearby Superior, AZ--great place for desert plant study)--Link
- Pickle Barrel Trading Post (non-sponsored commercial site, but well-worth visit--check out the photos on website)--Link
Facebook Group (External Site)
- Growing Up in Globe (if you have an account with Facebook, check out this great Facebook group)--Growing Up in Globe .